Micro Control's ultrasonic tension sensor line, UTensor, embodies the most popular method of bolt load testing to date. These glue-on transducers can be used in almost all bolted joints applications, including industries such as automotive, aerospace, wind, and commercial refinery.
UTensor I Overview
- 10 mm diameter x 7.5 mm height
- 7.5 MHz Piezo ceramic sensor with connector
- Reusable when a weak adhesive is used
- Can be removed from head of the bolt with use of shear force (temporary mounting)
- Includes built-in ultrasonic cable connector
- Dynamic reading of tension while bolt is tightening
- Static reading of tension after bolt is tightened
- No reattachment error (a common problem with traditional magnetic ultrasonic sensors)
- Supplied in packages of 20
How does it work?
UTensor I binds to the head of a bolt using a cyanoacrylate adhesive. A cable is then attached to the plastic connector on one end and the MC900 ultrasonic measuring unit on the other end. After testing, UTensor I can be easily removed by applying shear force at the base of the sensor.
For more permanent and high temperature applications a strain gage epoxy (MBond 610 from Vishay) can be used.
The UTensor I is supplied in packages of 20.